Charles Goddard, Partner
email@example.com | +44 020 3587 7803
Charles Goddard is a solicitor with 15 years' experience of advising on the corporate tax aspects of a wide range of corporate and financial transactions.
He has been recommended by both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners ("an excellent deal adviser"). He has been a partner in the Corporate Tax team of Berwin Leighton Paisner Ltd and qualified at Slaughter and May. He is the author of the Losses chapter in Tolleys Tax Planning and the PLC guide to the UK tax aspects of Islamic Finance.
Charles Goddard has wide experience of advising on a range of corporate and finance transactions. His clients range from multinational blue-chip institutions to private individuals. The transactions on which he has advised include corporate M&A deals, real estate transactions, joint ventures, financing transactions (including Islamic finance, structured finance and leasing), and insolvency and restructuring deals. His experience includes advising:
- A major UK bank on the structured disposal of over £1bn UK debt into a fund structure, with securitised debt finance.
- The purchaser of shares in a trading company for cash and an earn-out.
- An individual selling shares in a major UK retail chain to private equity for cash and a minority equity interest.
- A UK REIT on the sale of a London mixed use development property to an overseas investor.
- A UK lessor on a “short funding lease” structure with an overseas lessee for the financing of plant and machinery.
- The management of a high street retail chain in relation to their participation in a management buy-out.
- A US private equity group on its bid for the purchase of a UK and European hotel chain.
- A UK real estate investor on a joint venture for development of a landmark London mixed use development.
- On a fund structure for investment by UK investors into European real estate assets.
- On the structuring of a European debt fund.
- A major UK bank on its real estate debt enforcement and restructuring programme.
- The seller of shares on a claim by the purchaser under a tax covenant.
- Partner, Rosetta Tax Ltd ( 2012 – Present )
- Consultant, SC Andrew LLP ( 2012 – January 2014 )
- Consultant, NGM Tax Law ( 2012 – December 2012 )
- Partner in Corporate Tax, Berwin Leighton Paisner ( May 2006 – April 2012 )
- Associates, Berwin Leighton Paisner ( October 2004 – April 2006 )
- Tax Associate, Slaughter and May ( September 1998 – August 2004 )
Recommended tax advisor by Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners (band 5)
Legal Practice Course, College of Law, Guildford ( 1995-1996 )
Law Conversion Course, College of Law, Guildford ( 1994-1995 )
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Classics, 2:1, St Hugh's College, Oxford University (1990-1994)